Light up Disney Castle # 71040

What light kit can I use for the Disney Castle.

302replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • N3tty
    • N3tty
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Rob Klingberg hi, please keep me in the loop as well on this lighting kit. Thank you!

•   Rob Klingberg  Howdy, can you please add me to the list for information on this amazing lighting kit.  Thanks.

• I'm so excited to have found this thread and this impending product!!! We're about halfway through building our Disney castle and I've been thinking it would be awesome to have it lit up - this is even better than I could have imagined. I'll go fill out the contact form to get on the list. The photos above look amazing. I'd love to see a rear shot with the interior, too.

• Are you going to be lighting up the clock?

• Kevin Ambrose Way How would you like to see it lit up?  We have a light below it on the balcony, but not on the clock itself.

• Tara Osborne Ward Thank you for your kind words.  More photos coming next week after we return to the office from the Bricks Cascade show in Portland!

• Amazing! Absolutely amazing....

• Rob Klingberg HI. Thanks for replying. I will try to attach the pic with the clock lit up. It looks like it is lit up from behind. I think it looks great. Also love the work you guys are doing as well. Thanks, Kevin.

• Hey Rob what's the latest?

• Kevin Ambrose Way Thanks for sharing the photo.  I agree, the clock looks good.  If you had a choice of lighting up the balcony (where Mickey and Minnie are standing in the photo) or the clock, which would it be?  Maybe the option of lighting either with a single LED (meaning you could position it either on the balcony or behind the clock)?

• Erik Peterson I'm trying to get some good video of the outside lighting effects.  Much more difficult than I imagined, due to the size of the set and some other factors (good ones) that I hope to be able to overcome soon this week.

• Rob Klingberg Hey Rob. Well I really like the look of the balcony lit up as well. So if both cannot be lit at the same time, then in my opinion the option of being able to choose which one you want to lite up with a single LED would be the best choice. Thanks, Kevin

• Rob Klingberg - Please add me to the list.  My 9yo built his Castle entirely on his own, but I'm sure he would happily rebuild it if he knew there was a light kit!

• Marc A  this is totally amazing. I love our it lights up and the colours are awesome. How can I buy a light kit exactly light this castle from Tina

• Hi everyone, thanks as always for all the great and positive comments and suggestions you continue to send us about this kit.  Here's a fairly big news update!

After several months of programming and experimenting, and also after more than a few attempts that fell short of the mark, we're happy to share the first video of the fireworks effect that will be available as part of our light kits for the LEGO Disney Castle.

The video is too large to post here, but you can watch it by clicking on this link:

https://youtu.be/aLOUFpgVQS0

The video quality isn't that great, but we wanted to show everyone what we've been working on.  Some of you may have seen that there are some other lighting kits showing up on eBay, etc. for the Disney Castle, all of which follow pretty much the same design pattern: white lights inside, plus randomly-cycling color-changing lights on the outside.  The LEDs used in these kits are widely available, and they are the same ones we use in our color-changing light strings.  While they do produce a changing color effect, you have no control over the colors or the timing.  We wanted something more subtle, something you could actually control.

The result is a custom 14-LED array of synchronized color-changing LEDs that are managed from one central controller.  Why a central controller?  Because we wanted to create something you won't find in any other light kit: a true fireworks simulation.  As you can see in the video, the sequence starts with bright white lights flashing across the front of the castle.  This is the "launch sequence," like with real fireworks.  Our goal was to try and reproduce the opening sequence from Disney movies where the fireworks launch across the castle in big arcs.

After the launch sequence, there is a pause, followed by the simulated bursts of the fireworks.  These are implemented in the control program in two ways: first, by eight color-changing LEDs mounted facing up onto the castle, and second, by three "burst cones" made of LEGO bricks and fiber optic sprays.  Each burst cone has two color-changing LEDs inside, and the bursts, colors, and fade settings are randomly selected by the controller with each launch.  This is a fancy way of saying we think you're going to love the effects, and it's something you won't find in any other kit.

Based on your feedback on this thread, we also implemented a color-cycling mode, where the eight color-changing LEDs can be set to cycle through the full color spectrum at a speed you select.  This is important-- ours will be the only light kit where the color cycling speed can be selected by YOU via a dial on the controller board, and ours is also the only kit where all LEDs are synchronized to the same color.  This is how real light shows work, so again, we think you're going to love it.

You will also have the ability to "freeze" the color cycling at any color of your choosing.  This will allow you to bathe the castle in one color of light-- maybe orange for Fall, yellow for Summer, and Cool White for Winter.  It's totally up to you.  The color you pick will be saved even when the castle power is turned off, so the next time you turn on your castle, the light will be set to the same color as before.

We're really excited about the color-cycling and fireworks effects-- we've put more time into making and testing them than any other effect we've ever created.  We hope you like them too, and we hope you agree they will make your castle unique and a true showpiece.

Let us know what you think!

One more update: we have decided to begin accepting pre-orders for the castle lighting kit the first week in April.  We will be finalizing pricing this week and will update this thread with details.

Kits will begin shipping the first week in May.  We expect a large demand, so we will be releasing pre-orders in batches, beginning with those who have requested to be added to our notification list.  Once we start making kits, we're going to keep making 'em, so everyone who wants one will be able to get one.

Thank you again for your patience as we worked to make the best lighting kit possible.

Like 1
  • That looks amazing Rob.  This could be a silly question, but are the fiber optic sprays actually a physical thing or is it an effect created by a light?  Also, will the pre-ordering be done by any type of order based on when people submitted for more info when available or are you planning on having enough kits in the initial launch to cover all of us that are itching for this amazing kit?

• Roger Gallagher Good questions!  The sprays are a physical thing with lights attached.  Each assembly sits inside a 4x4 LEGO assembly, so you can quickly mount them on the castle (when you want fireworks) or remove them for daytime use.  Also, the eight color-changing LEDs can operate in the fireworks effect mode without the sprays as well.

For the pre-orders, we're going to try and make as many kits as possible during April, to meet as much initial demand as possible.  I have been keeping the list of people who have been interested in the kit, and I will be reaching out to those folks (in order) early in the process to make sure they can get a kit if they are still interested.

Like 1
  • Rob Klingberg well done Rob. Bravo! Amazing. 

• Adam
    • Adam
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi!

I've been checking this thread daily for weeks to see what you were going to create. I've avoided building my castle as I'd like to add the lights to it as I build. After seeing your kit I can only say well done and I cannot wait to order and receive mine, it will be the centre piece of our Disney collection.  

If the list is still open then please add me to it, otherwise I'll keep a close eye out and place my order as soon as I can. 

Again, well done on an amazing set!

Like 1
  • Rob Klingberg not sure where I go on the site to add myself to the listing.  Definitely interested in being added! 

Like 1
  • Rob Klingberg 

I've been on here, but I'm not sure about the list. Just wondering if I was on it, or how to get on it? Thanks!

• Corinne
    • lego builder in-training
    • Corinne
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I couldn't be happier with the light kit you have created. Super excited to purchase and display my Disney Castle with this awesome effect. The Big and small kids in the family are going to love it.Thanks,

• Rob Klingberg  This has been an amazing adventure for those of us who have been interested all along. To see the initial ideas, to hearing where you're at with this project. You guys must be extraordinarily proud and I can't wait to pre-order this kit! Thank you so much for your hard work! Are there any potential issues for leaving the lights on for too long or anything off hand that you would recommend doing or recommend against? Thank you so much for your hard work and bringing the Disney to our homes where this project is a dream come true!

• wow! this kit just looks better and better with every update, the fire works and the face of the castle look amazing when light up, is there any possibility of getting the fireworks to light up in time to music like they do on the actual castle?

• Daniel Metcalf Alison Narehood Adam if you send us an e-mail through the contact form on our main website ( www.brickstuff.com ) we'll be able to add you to the notification list. Thanks!

Like13 Follow
  • 13 Likes
  • 6 yrs agoLast active
  • 302Replies
  • 13945Views
  • 89 Following