• Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
    • Daryl Tan
    • Daryl_Tan
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Here's a video of my setup with Hedwig's Theme playing. Wanted to have a rotating platform initially and to also build up the surrounding areas of the castle but I do not have much space right now considering that Cinderella's and Hogwarts Castle has taken probably 20% of my room space. I've decided to display it in an acrylic display box for the time being. There's an additional Quidditch Pitch Lego set in there too. Am still thinking what is the best way to specifically light up and position that and also to have better backdrop that could accentuate the lights effect better.

https://youtu.be/eAFr_wJwXqI

Like 1
  • Freakmaster I see. Was just asking because I was having trouble finding 1x2 ones to buy :(

• Daryl Tan looks amazing! Looking for a good rotating stand myself. 

Also love the music. Did you download it and can control it with the remote?

• Freakmaster can you kindly hook me up with a parts list? Ordered a ton of those blue transparent 1x2s

• Rob Klingberg struggling to find a turntable for this one. Any suggestions?

• Michael Organiscak 

Sorry, but I don't have a part list. As I posted above, the base of everything are these parts:

I used four 32x32 and four 16x32 plates as base to have both parts of the castle on two(2 pcs. 32x32 and 2 pcs. 16x32) plates.  So I鈥榤 able to seperate the two castlehalves as in the original. Maybe you could see it in the pictures. I don鈥榯 know how many parts I used, but there are mostly 2x4 or 2x2 bricks on the base plates an as cover I used 16x16 plates. 

But I think you easily could calculate it, when you know the bases. 

• Freakmaster thanks for the reply. I've already started ordering pieces. We will see what I come up with as I go along. Should be fun to mess with it. Hopefully my initial order will be close-ish so I can get it mostly done. It's taking forever to get things delivered because of COVID. 

Thanks for the help!

• Michael Organiscak I found this one last year:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075VGPNFJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like it's now unavailable but it also looks like they have another color in stock.  The castle is so wide, it was really hard finding a strong enough turntable, but this one did the trick.  The only drawback is that there isn't a way to mount a slip ring in the center to allow power to pass through as you rotate.

• Freakmaster for my base plates im going with 4 of the 48x48 light grey base plates. Then using light grey around the edges as I build upwards. Then I have a bunch of grey 16x16 for the water area and dark green 4x4s for the grassy areas. I ran out of stuff so just places an order for some 6x8s green and the inside 2x4s that will support the top pieces.  Received 500 1x2s for the blue water pieces. I'll probably end up buying more since my ground will be slightly bigger. (30" x 30")  

I'll likely have to DIY the turn table since it's so big. Then I'll have to get a glass case to fit it all. So this project will keep me busy for a while. My wife wants me to space it out so I'm not spending it all right now. 

• Also researching exactly what I want for my mp3. Bouncing between the hedwig theme and a bunch of character dialog from the movies. 

Like 1
    • Daryl Tan
    • Daryl_Tan
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Michael Organiscak another good choice would be Harry's Wondrous World which is a bit more uplifting, or dialogs that  has spells casted or the sorting hat shouting out house names. I'm also interested in trying out projection mapping to simulate the nighttime shows at the parks and to add additional effects to it. Saw someone did it with the Disney Castle.

Like 1
  • Just curious to see if anyone is looking into buying the giant expansion set for Hogwarts?

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-30884/Playwell%20Bricks/hogwarts-castle-71043-epic-extension/?inventory=1#comments

I've had several customers e-mail and ask for a lighting kit to go with this extension.  It looks absolutely incredible-- more than 3x the size of the original Hogwarts.  Our wallet is saying "NO" but our eyes are saying "YES!".

• Rob Klingberg 

hey Rob, thanks for sharing this link. That looks amazing. If you make the light Extension, I will build it馃

Like 1
  • Rob Klingberg my only problem (other than price, of course) is that I'm already going to be challenged enough to make my own motorized turn table along with getting a glass case for this one. I can't imagine getting both of those things bigger. 

But honestly kudos to anyone who has the space for that. I'm sure it'd look spectacular. 

I might have to stop coming to this site if you make a lighting kit for that one, rob. I would be too tempted! Haha

Look forward to learning a bit more about this expansion and what it includes. 

• Michael Organiscak Yes, the turntable is definitely "out" if you go for the expansion.  Another issue with the expansion (aside from cost and size) is that it seals up all of the internally visible areas of the original castle, so by adding the expansion, you are turning your castle into a model for external display only.

I'm not sure if we have the space in the office for the entire expansion, nor do I know where I'll find time to assemble the 19,000 (!) parts that are included with the extension.  I'll keep everyone updated though.

• Rob Klingberg yeah one thing I would like is a more detailed look at it. Seems like I cant find anyone who has completed and posted videos/pictures. 

• Michael Organiscak There are some more renderings here:

https://www.vonado.com/MOC-30884-Hogwart-s-Castle-71043-Epic-Extension-p1038705.html

And a couple more here:

https://twitter.com/BeyondtheBrick/status/1093318745370607616

But I can't find any "real world" photos.  Maybe it's a phantom and no one has yet actually built it! :-)

• Rob Klingberg 

Hey Rob, when you have a deeper look in the link you鈥榲e posted from rebrickable, you have to click on photos under the description, there you could find real pictures of the build model

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-30884/Playwell%20Bricks/hogwarts-castle-71043-epic-extension/?inventory=1#photos

• Freakmaster Ah yes, thanks!  I didn't go down that far.  It is massive!

• Rob Klingberg you would still make a lighting kit if only 5 people buy it?

• Daryl Tan
    • Daryl_Tan
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I once was this online and thought it looked amazing. Not sure if its the same one but it's probably custom built judging from that cliff base and the train station though the location is inaccurate. The Hogwarts Express alights at hogsmeade

Like 1
  • Daryl Tan 

Wow, this is Awesome. Thanks for Sharing

• Michael Organiscak Probably, given the ROI for us is better on large kits vs. small.  And I figure, if I need to make a kit for me, I may as well make one for whoever wants one!

• Daryl Tan Thanks for sharing-- I'm pretty sure that is a custom design, and the lights are definitely custom.  Absolutely stunning.

Like4 Follow
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 177Replies
  • 4755Views
  • 42 Following