Stearns You're not losing any features. You've gained a ton of features over the original kit. Just because there are fewer buttons doesn't mean there are fewer features. We wouldn't put out a v2 kit that had fewer features.
Here's a breakdown of the remote features in the old kit (infrared remote):
1. Main Power On/Off (Power Button)
2. Docking bay lights/mandible lights on/off (Button "A")
3. Main engines on/off (Button "B")
4. Laser cannon on/off (Button "C")
5. Engine Flyby Sound (Circle Button)
6. Volume up/down (up/down arrows)
7. Play one of three random sounds (left/right arrows)
So that's seven features with 9 buttons.
Now, for the new kit with the RF remote, you have:
1. Short Press, "A" button: toggles between six lighting states/effects for the mandibles, landing lights, and docking bay lights, including two docking bay light effects that were not available in the v1 kit.
2. Long Press, "A" button: Main power on/off
3. Short Press, "B" button: Main engines on/off
4. Long Press, "B" button: engine flyby sound
5. Short Press, "C" button: firing of the laser cannon. In the old kit, this was just an "on/off" setting. You could not control when the laser actually fires. With the new kit, you can fire the laser remotely whenever you want by pressing "C".
6. Long Press, "C" button: turn random laser firing on/off
7. Short Press, "D" button: play one of five random sounds. The sound management system in the new kit is vastly improved over the v1 kit, so not only can you load 2 more custom sounds, you can tell the system which sounds you want to include in the random assortment. This gives a ton more flexibility.
8. Long Press, "D" button: this last one is reserved for a future add-on kit that will "open" new doors. That's all I'm going to say for now. :-)
So there you have it: less than 50% of the buttons, more than 2x the number of features. And most of the features themselves are improved over the v1 kit.
I hope this helps clarify. Any questions or lingering doubts, let us know. Meanwhile, enjoy your upgraded Falcon!