New UCS Lego Star Destroyer 75252

Hello.  Wondering if there are any plans to make a lighting kit for the new Lego UCS star destroyer, 75252?  Lighting the engines would be a given, but wondering if there is enough room and support for sounds?  

42replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Hi, thanks for your message.  Yes, we are absolutely thinking about a kit for this impressive new set.  And there is more than enough room for remote control and sound.  What types of sound would you like to see?

• Brian
    • starwars_nerd
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Rob Klingberg  thanks for the reply.  Good question.  Perhaps some engine noise to go with the engine lights.  Maybe some turbolaser blast sounds, and alarms?  Would be cool if it played the imperial march, but that might be too much, lol!

• Brian All good suggestions, thank you.  I'll look into seeing what we can do.  First of course I need to save up to buy the set! :-)

• Brian
    • starwars_nerd
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Rob Klingberg  No kidding!  It definitely ain't cheap!

• Bill Ryan
    • Bill_Ryan
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Going to order the kit on 18 Sep (VIP). I would hope any lighting kit will include lights for the swivel guns.

• Bill Ryan That's definitely something we're looking at. When you get the kit (you'll have yours before we do), can you post some up-close photos of how the guns are constructed?

• Bill Ryan
    • Bill_Ryan
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Rob, the kit was just released yesterday (Lego VIP member). I ordered it and it has not been shipped yet. Once I receive it I'll look at how the guns are assembled.

• Brian
    • starwars_nerd
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Found this on the web.  

• Brian
    • starwars_nerd
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

might be a bit tricky to light those, considering how small the holes are.  there are several speed builds on youtube if you need to see how they are assembled.

• Brian
    • starwars_nerd
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

These would  be tricky too.  same  small holes.  Do you think it would be possible?

• Brian Thanks for the photos.  We can definitely get lights inside there, believe it or not.  What I'd really love to see is if there was some way (using gears, etc.) to make the guns move in sync, like they were tracking a ship.  Let me know once you get into the build if that looks possible.  I'm guessing not given the solid plates below the guns, but let me know.

• We just started our build. The landing bay that the tractor beam brings the Tantive into should be lit for sure.  I really like the turbo laser idea. 

Like 1
  • Hey is  a Kit for the ISD in Development?  Any news to this ? 

• Stefan Ritzheim Yes we still plan to release a kit in 2020.  Currently we're partnering with The Brick Wiz on YouTube-- he's going to get the LEGO set and we're going to walk through it together to see what makes sense to have in terms of lights.  I think he plans to get the set in January or Feb.

Like 1
    • Jason Lam
    • Jason_Lam
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Rob Klingberg Looks like The Brick Wiz posted a review of a built set on 12/23 -- have you had a chance to talk to him yet about the lighting options? 

• Hello.  Have there been any recent updates on this light build? i.e. design or sound effects etc. Thanks!

• Swagnik Roychoudhury Thanks for your message.  We have been waiting for the Brick Wiz to start his build.  I'll follow up with him.

• It may be a little late, but I have seen that another site, Light My Bricks has a kit that has some cool stuff like the turbolasers firing and pulsing engines, but I think that it kinda looks like they just threw some LEDs on random parts for the rest of the lighting. Any ideas for avoiding this?

• Paul McPartland Yes, definitely!  We share your feeling about that kit.  Looks very much like a toy, and we are trying to achieve the look of more of a professional model.

Here's where we're at with developing the kit:

• We finally bought the LEGO set, so we can gets fully hands-on and optimize the components and effects. Now we just need to find time and space to build... :-)
    • We've developed a new kind of sound module that can play multiple sounds at once.  This allows us to create a droning sound for the engines that will run forever and not just sound like the same old loop over and over.  We've also thrown in some random TIE fighters and lasers, and have added the turbolaser sounds and klaxon alarm as well.  All of this will be controllable from the kit's remote, and the overall effect of the polyphonic sound is stunning.  There is literally no other kit of any type for any version of any Star Destroyer that has this ability.  We imagine people will turn on the engines and just let them play in the background.  They're actually very relaxing!  Minus the laser attacks of course....
    • In addition to the polyphonic sound module, the kit will include our standard user-uploadable sound module, so people will be able to add their own sounds and quotes from the movies and play those using the remote as well.
    • We're thinking of offering two versions of the kit: one with standard lights that will attach to the outside of the Star Destroyer, and one with fiber optics.  For the standard version, we'll use LEDs smaller than those used by the other vendors, so the overall effect will look more realistic, and for the fiber optic version, this will allow people to take their lighting as far as they'd like.  This is the kit we're using as inspiration for the fiber optic version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxxN4tsK3NQ

Now that's a LOT of light.  To get that much light, customers who want to undertake the challenge will have to drill their own holes (gasp!) in the Star Destroyer skin, and run the individual fiber optic strands.  We know that drilling holes in LEGO is controversial, but we're seriously giving those who want to do it the ability to create something truly remarkable.  If this works, it will elevate the LEGO model to the level of a true almost-studio-scale professional model, something that has never been done with any other off-the-shelf LEGO model to our knowledge.

I'm interested in people's thoughts about the DIY drilling and fiber optics option.  We'd include a drill bit with the kit so all you'd need is a drill and a lot of patience.  Of course you'd also need to be ok with forever altering your LEGO set, so again we know this might be controversial.  We feel the results would be worth the effort, and we're hoping people like the idea.  Let us know what you think!

So, lots more testing and tweaking to be done, but we are working hard to make something truly unique.  Look for more details in the next 4-6 weeks.  We're hoping to be able to open pre-orders for the kit this summer, with delivery dates in the fall.  Pricing TBD.

Like 1
  • Rob Klingberg 

Sounds incredible. I have your UCS Falcon kit and it is amazing and so well worth the investment so really looking forward to this one. Really glad your trying for a studio scale look as well and not putting on random flashing and strobing lights just for the sake of it. True to scale and the movies is what I like. Drilling  for fiber optics is ok with me. If you need someone to test a beta kit, count me in;}

• Stewart Lapierre Thanks, will do!

• Some people would definitely think twice before drilling holes into a $700 Lego set (Including me). However, since it makes the set look like an actual model, maybe you could create a second version of the fiber optics where you include the pieces pre-drilled. The feasibility of this would of course be dependent on how many lights you put, where you put them, and the cost of doing this (since you don't sell Lego pieces), so it may not be feasible at all - but just a thought. Also, if you drilled holes through Legos that are easily replaceable , then many more people (again including me :)  ) would be open to that option. Great progress though!!

• Swagnik Roychoudhury Thanks for the feedback!  After building the set and spending time with it on the table to see how it might be lit, I think drilling holes might be impractical (mostly because of the thickness of the plates along the sides).  I'm looking into some other avenues for mounting lights externally that would still make the model look more "model-like" and less "toy-like".

Right now I'm working on a custom round LED board to go into the large engines, so we're very much still in progress on this model.  More info soon!

Like 1
    • Sandro
    • Sandro
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

For me, drilling holes is also no option. When you watch the movies there are not a lot of lights on this ships. Most of the light come from the Engines. So for me detailed Engine light effects are the most important thing. cant wait to see your kit for this model.

Like 1
  • Sandro  Having lights mainly at the engines wouldn't look very good, since you would have the back end very brights, while the front is just dark. The goal of the lights should primarily be enhancing the many details of the entire ship for the purpose of beautification , rather than only copying the real ship. Just my thoughts

Like5 Follow
  • 5 Likes
  • 1 yr agoLast active
  • 42Replies
  • 902Views
  • 18 Following