LEGO Disney Train 71044

OK, so this is an absolutely magnificent set!  I'm currently in the process of building it, and I already have many ideas about how we could make this set even more amazing.

As always though, I want to hear from YOU.  What features would you like to see in this set that would make it even more special to you?  Unfortunately because LEGO changed the motor and control system in the train to the new Powered Up system, which does not allow for stacking connector plugs, we probably can't connect directly to the LEGO power source, but we're looking at alternatives to add lights and maybe even SMOKE to the engine and train.

Please post your thoughts below, and as always thank you for your passion and input!

28replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • I have only built the train so far, but 100% agree at the "magnificent" adjective.

Train needs a headlight, obviously.  Maybe the lanterns on the back of the enclosed passenger car, as well as the insignia on the back platform.

• Daryl Tan
    • Daryl_Tan
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Just got mine couple days back and am I'm the process of building it! Am liking the details of the set.

• Gregory
    • Gregory
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Gonna be a busy end of year with Hogwarts and now the train.  The way the train station is lit at Disneyland  seems to be strip lighting.  Almost like white Christmas lights  all around the edges.  At night, later,  when the park is closed, they usually  only have the 'Christmas lights'  and the clocks lit to make a really neat silhouette.  All the  lamps, lanterns and typical lights are turned off.  Maybe it's possible to have a remote option for 'open' vs. 'closed'?  The smoke idea would be great.  Thank you so much!!

• Gregory Great suggestion about the Christmas-type lights.  Will see what we can do here. :-)

Like 1
  • I put a pico in the headlight, and ran the wire back to the cab to a coin cell pack.  It looks very nice and the wire is barely visible.

I might extend the wire to the tender and put the battery in there, but for now I like it in the cab because it's super easy to get to the on/off switch.  I had to move engineer Mickey back to the blue&white car though.

I also bought some rechargeable 2032 batteries to try out.  Hopefully they work.

• Rob - LMB came up with this cable.  https://www.lightmybricks.com/products/lego-powered-up-cable-power-functions-2-0.  Can you do something similar?  Its a pretty good solution?  Also, what is the timing for your kit?

• John Peterson I saw that cable.  Interesting.  We're working on something a bit more elegant.  Assuming it works-- we're still in testing.  We plan to offer a smoking stack for the engine as well.  Timing is probably end of Q1 2020.

• Every time I tell myself thats, don’t buy more...  is there to take a kit and make it better. Definitely gonna follow this since both my hogwarts and cinderella castle are lit. Looking forward to seeing updates!

Like 1
  • Chris Cooper yeah I feel the same way. I told my wife after the Disney castle and hogwarts I was done with legos. Now look at me creepin on this thread lol. 

I already showed her how cool the train was and she rolled her eyes lol.

Rob Klingberg that extra track that they sell on lego is the same kind in this set?

• Michael Organiscak its the same track. I brought the extensions myself. I think that for a decent size loop, you should grab two extra sets of track, but that of course depends on your needs.  Im using it for a Christmas Tree if that helps

• Michael Organiscak Yep, same track!

• Is there a mailing list for this kit yet?

• John Haley Just made one, and added you to it (hope that's ok).

• Rob Klingberg Yeah, I'm going to need to be on the list, too. 🙂

• Paul George Done!

• Gregory
    • Gregory
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Please add me to the list if I’m not already on it. 

• Gregory Done!

• Rob Klingberg you know how I like to buy the lighting kits before even getting the sets so throw me on the email list too please! 

• and add me to the list as well?

• Jim Pirzyk Done!

• Some potential ideas: something to keep the train moving without a cellphone, and a speaker to make train noises on the actual train.

• John Haley Those are both great suggestions.  Right now I don't know how you'd accomplish the first suggestion without switching the power (motor, etc.) back to the old Power Functions system, unless you think people would be willing to cut off the Powered Up plug on the motor in the engine?  As for having sound onboard, that's also something we're looking at longer-term, though that too would likely require swapping out the LEGO Powered Up elements and replacing them.

Do you think people would be willing to do this?

• I switched the train motor to an old metal-wheel 9volt motor, and put a coin cell battery in the tender to power the locomotive headlight.  I used the sticky squares to put the board on the pivoting part of the main wheels, so the wire connector is easy to get to.

I also put a second coin cell pack in the last car, and lit the two lanterns on the rear of the train.  I should update that one to also light the 'drumhead'.

I found some rechargeable coin cells that I use for both packs.  They're good for about two hours and only take about a minute to swap.

• Daryl Tan
    • Daryl_Tan
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Any way to possibly sync light sequence and effects to the castle lights? Could be a mini upgrade for the castle kit at the same time 😁 Once the train station light kit is ready I'm thinking of displaying them together sort of like a mini Magic Kingdom. Would be nice if aesthetics wise, the lights for both set are balanced.

• Daryl Tan What kind of sync would you like to see?  Definitely may be possible.

Like1 Follow
  • 1 Likes
  • 2 yrs agoLast active
  • 28Replies
  • 378Views
  • 12 Following